Thread: Edo 2705 questions

SPA MEMBER

Edo 2705 questions

I'm thinking (again) about amphibs for my 1955 180. Not looking for opinions about amphib vs. straight, lower useful load, lower performance than straight, etc. I've got all that. But it's either have a somewhat doggier floatplane, or don't fly floats at all.

I have 2870 straight floats which I like a lot, but I no longer live on a lake and have no place to keep a plane on straight floats. I have Wing-X so I do have 2950 gross. I know it will be a 2 person plane, maybe 3 with no gear. That would cover me, my wife, fuel, and some gear. And I live near sea level so that does help.

I also know the Aerocets are fantastic and if I had $80k and change maybe I'd go that way, but not in this decade.

Considered 2790s, but from what I've read and heard over the years I'd probably prefer not to have the extra heel length.

So it's back to thinking about 2705s.
    - I see they're not on the 180 TC so I assume field approval, or is there an STC somewhere?
    - How would one go about arranging a pre-buy inspection to avoid taking on a corrosion and/or maintenance nightmare?
    - Any particular areas to pay attention to on these floats in a pre-buy?
    - Any other practical pointers or advice?

And I know the old SPA forum had a bunch of old posts on 2705s--is that archived anywhere?

Thanks,

Tom

SPA MEMBER
    Well this is a lively site. In case someone else wanders through wondering about 2705 floats on an early 180

2705s are not on the 180 TC. Edo has two STCs. Includes a specific hydraulic installation. They have the installation instructions downloadable from their website. http://www.kenmoreairharbor.com/models.html

There are other hydraulic installations, for example Fluidyne STCs now owned by Wipaire. To use with the Edo STC you need a field approval for the hydraulic installation as a modification of the Edo STC. That's what I'm doing.

SPA MEMBER
    If you are ever going from 2870s to 2705s, be sure to get all the attach hardware, and be aware that there are two different rigging setups for 2870s... The 2870 and the 2870A. Ken more has drawings for both on their website.

It turns out that 2705s and 2870s share one type of rigging and 2870As (which I had) are slightly different. There is an extra steel strap at the rear float attach, under the strut attach block. 2870As only have the block. Here's the 2705/2870 attach point with the extra strap: