Thread: Float Activity in FL?

SPA MEMBER

Cool Float Activity in FL?

Hi all,
    My husband and I are seaplane pilots, but moving to a land airport in N. FL., We're considering switching from straight floats (on a Citabria) to amphibs down the road, but we're not sure how active float flying would be for us and how much activity goes on that we would reasonably be able to participate in. Any comments? Thoughts? We're heading to Sun-n-Fun and hope to attend the splash in. Look forward to seeing/meeting more seaplane pilots!
    Regards,
    Barbara Hunt
    Barbara and Bill

Hi Barbara, welcome to the Original Florida. I am in St. Augustine. The St. Johns River is quite large up here and open to seaplanes, plus all of the lakes including Lake Crescent. Where are you going to be living?
    Manufacturer's Representative Akoya Amphibious Skiplane

SPA MEMBER
    Hi,
    Thanks for your response. We're going to be at Cannon Creek Airpark in Lake City, probably about 75 miles (?) from you.
    Are there any locations where one might keep a straight float plane?

Thanks.
    Barbara and Bill

SPA MEMBER
    Hi Barbara
    I operate 2 cessna's on straight floats from November-April in central Florida based out of Cherry Pocket. We fly all over the state, from Key West to St Johns in Jacksonvile without landing in salt water. I have 6-7 hours range in my C172 with LR tanks, there are lots of places to go on straight floats. I relocate back to MN each spring and fall to FL with the floatplanes. Come on over when you get here, we have parking for you, better than at Tavares.
    Brian

Barbara, there are lakes around Lake City but I don't have any details. The closest charted seaplane base in Doctor's Lake in Orange Park. It is really a large cove that connects to the St. Johns River.
    http://airport-facilities.findthedat...2/Doctors-Lake

Hopefully the locals at Cannon Creek have some suggestions for you.
    Manufacturer's Representative Akoya Amphibious Skiplane

SPA MEMBER
    Thanks for your response, I'll check out Doctor's Lake.
    Barbara and Bill

Hi Barbara-

Welcome to Cannon Creek! I am the President of the EAA chapter and there are a few of us float pilots there. My contact info is on the EAA977.org website if you want to chat.

Daryl

SPA MEMBER
    Hi Daryl,
    Thanks for the welcome, and glad to hear there are other seaplane pilots there. So do any of you have a seaplane or amphib at CC?
    We're going to be down for 10 days in early April, but probably won't be there again, except perhaps briefly until fall. We're trying to sell out house in MA.
    Hope to meet you, are you attending any of the seaplane activities at Sun and Fun?
    Best,
    Barbara
    Barbara and Bill