Thread: Waldo Lake Public Hearing

SPA MEMBER

Waldo Lake Public Hearing

The Oregon State Department of Aviation (ODA) Board will be holding a Public Hearing on the proposed Final Rule for Waldo Lake on January 31, 2013. The Hearing will be held in the Ken Long Conference Room at the Willamalane Center, 250 South 32nd Street, Springfield, Oregon between 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. This meeting is the culmination of the action by the ODA Board to craft rules that will allow continued use of Waldo Lake by seaplanes. If you are unfamiliar with this issue, or need a refresher, please visit the Columbia Seaplane Pilots Association (CSPA) website for the story. Read, particularly, Aron's May 6, 2012 Bull-a-Ton article Waldo Lake:Finding Common ground.

CSPA greatly appreciates the work of the ODA Board in attempting to find common ground with the other users of the lake. The ODA effort has been met with opposition by those not wanting motorized use of the lake. Oregon Wild and the U.S. Forest Service are so opposed to this rule that they categorically refused to participate in crafting the Temporary Rules back in May. They and their constituents will not, however, refuse to participate in this hearing and will no doubt be there in force. For this reason CSPA is asking that any local pilots, seaplane and otherwise, that can take the time to support the ODA Board come to the meeting and sign up to speak. It will probably be a rather lively proceeding.

If you are out of the area and interested in preserving you rights to use the Sovereign Waters of the State of Oregon in the future you can send a brief, or lengthy, letter or email to the Oregon Department of Aviation expressing your support for the Board action to:
    Oregon Dept. of Aviation Board
    3040 25th St., SE
    Salem ,Oregon 97302-1125
    FAX (503) 373-1688
    Or Email: aviation.mail@state.or.us

Thanks in advance,
    CSPA Board of Directors
    and
    Bill Wainwright, SPA Field Director for Oregon

Scroll down in the attachment to the red text for the proposed rules
    Attached Files Attached Files

Done.

Dear Board Members:

I would like to see Waldo Lake remain open to seaplanes. As an avid sailor and kayaker, I too am extremely fond of serene and pristine settings in which I can enjoy my chosen passions. Heaven knows, there are far too few of these places left.

The biggest hindrance to serenity, however is not a single operation of a plane or vessel. It is repeated passes and prolonged noise of those who seem to believe they are somehow entitled to emit their brand of “serenity” to anyone who can hear. Seaplanes are on the negligible end of the list of offenders.

As a professional pilot (and rated seaplane pilot), I actually enjoy watching seaplanes come and go. But, I would be the first to grumble if said operations created a wake nuisance or constant noise. That said, I have yet to encounter a single occurrence in sailing or kayaking in Oregon, Washington or even Canada, where a seaplane has caused either. In my experience, seaplane pilots go out of their way to minimize their noise and wake footprint and remain clear of water traffic. I cannot say the same for the vast majority of other water users that I’ve encountered.

I find it ironic that certain groups claiming to savor the “tranquil, semi-primitive nature experience,” have not called for bans on generators, chainsaws, loud motorcycles and cars, dogs, shrieking kids or drunken adults. Unlike these offenders to the “natural soundscape,” which can go on for hours, at all hours, a seaplane arrives and is silent until it leaves - in accordance with the temporary rule issued in May 2012.

Hiking boots, mountain bikes and horses all cause damage to the pristine surrounds of Waldo Lake. There seems to be no hue and cry, however, to mitigate this. Seaplanes, on the other hand, cause no such erosion.

It is also claimed that a single seaplane accident could introduce a petroleum spill into the water. Given the scope of operations, I would submit it is far more likely to have a motor vehicle errantly roll down a boat ramp and into the water, causing the very same spill hazard. This does not even take into account the the inevitable fecal runoff from animal waste that already occurs. Again, there seems to be no call to ban these environmental hazards.

To listen to some of the rhetoric, it would seem that seaplanes are an ever present menace on Waldo Lake. From the data available, there were six seaplane operations last summer. I just can’t fathom the uproar over one operation approximately every two weeks.

Seaplane operations are a miniscule invasion on Waldo Lake – infinitely less than other means of visiting the lake. The vast majority of visitors are unlikely to even encounter a single seaplane operation during their stay - as opposed to the many other “soundscape” offenders present at any hour on any given day. Seaplanes leave "no trace behind" of their presence in comparison to other means of access.

I strongly urge the adoption of OAR 738-040-037 as a permanent rule.

Regards,

Mike Finch
    Gresham, OR

SPA MEMBER
    Sent one now, Thanks for the heads-up!
    CFII Amphibion

Here is the letter that was sent to the Oregon Dept of Aviation from the Executive Director of the Seaplane Pilots Association. We recommend it using it as a helpful guide to assist pour members to write letters and emails of their own in support of the ruling.

Oregon Dept. of Aviation Board
    3040 25th Street SE
    Salem, OR 97302-1125

Subject: Waldo Lake Seaplane Ruling
    Ref: Public Hearing January 31, 2013

January 21, 2013

Dear Board Members,

As the Executive Director of the Seaplane Pilots Association, the international seaplane advocacy and non-profit organization founded for the promotion and protection of the water flying community, I would like to thank you for the productive and open discussion you have conducted with our pilots.

We respectfully appreciate that you have upheld fair and non-biased access to Waldo Lake in a manner that not only serves the water flying community, but also the non flying general public.

Speaking on behalf of our association’s nearly 7,000 members, I would like to encourage the Board to adopt the proposed ruling that would govern seaplane use on Waldo Lake as submitted.

Additionally, I would like to extend an open invitation to both the Board and the Department of Aviation to use the knowledge base and resources of our organization to assist with matters regarding seaplane operations. Throughout our organization’s 41 year history we have been the central resource for all matters regarding the safe operation of seaplanes, invasive species issues and seaplane compatibility with other users groups and the environment.

Thank you for your continued efforts and work to preserve fair and equal access to this wonderful resource called Waldo Lake. We look forward to continuing to work with you on any and all seaplane issues in the great state of Oregon.

Blue skies and calm waters,

Steven McCaughey
    Executive Director
    Seaplane Pilots Association

Have also sent a letter.

Bob
    Robert P. Kittine, Jr. - West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. - New York

SPA MEMBER
    Under the proposed rule, dropping a fishing line from a seaplane would not be "transportation to and from the lake". Worth mentioning?
    CFII Amphibion

SPA MEMBER

To all who helped,

Last nights Waldo Lake Public Hearing was held in Springfield, Oregon. It went well considering the bunch of closed minded people that we were up against. The vote will come later and the board is defiantly under a lot of pressure. Hot button issues with the assembly were IAS, pollution: oil, fuel and noise, safety and not wanting to see a seaplane. As usual only one person in the room said they had ever seen a seaplane there.

As the SPA Field Director for Oregon I spoke on our efforts and training to avoid transporting IAS. Aron Faegre, President of CSPA, spoke on need for clear access to the lake and our efforts to find compromise. Other pilots made their points as well. The pilot turnout and supporters for seaplanes was probably the best I have seen. Thanks to all those who participated in person and to the forums, blogs and associations that got the word out.

Bill Wainwright
    SPA Field Director for Oregon
    CSPA Vice President

SPA MEMBER
    To all who helped on the continuing saga of Waldo Lake. Currently the battle has taken a turn for the worse. The Oregon Dept of Aviation put off final rule making because of impending legislative action. The Oregon Senate had a bill introduced to kill internal combustion motors which included seaplanes on the lake once and for all. It was introduced by a powerful Senator whose district included Waldo Lake. His constituents won the day with a 18 to 11 victory sending the issue on to the House for their concurrence. No input from our side of the discussion seemed to be considered relevant except to a small handful of legislators. The decision by most of them to support the bill was probably driven by political motivation rather than reason and balance for the use of the lake.

There is one more step before the Governor will potentially get a big smile on his face and sign it into law and that is for Oregon residents to contact their representatives. The link to find your representative is http://www.leg.state.or.us/findlegsltr/ Please take a minute of your time to write a short email asking for fair treatment in using Waldo Lake and opposing the closure of the lake to Internal combustion motors and seaplanes.

Again, thanks to all who have continued to support this effort to preserve the use of navigable waters by seaplanes,

Bill Wainwright
    CSPA VP
    Last edited by cwainwright; 04-08-2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: grammer

SPA MEMBER
    Both the Oregon House and Senate have voted to close Waldo Lake to all internal combustion engines and seaplanes. The bill will now go to the Governor who has been a supporter of this action for his signature and to be the law of the land. It was a hard fought battle but in the end we lost out to a strong and overwhelming environmental lobby here in Oregon. Thanks to all who participated over the past 5 years. While we lost this battle we showed them that we aren't afraid to fight.Bill Wainwright
    CSPA VP