Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mead composite 1430 straight floats

Mead composite 1430 straight floats

Does anyone know if Mead has Rigging to put their floats on an Aeronca Champ (7CCM)?
    Robert P. Kittine, Jr. - West Nyack Aviation, L.L.C. - New York

How about, does anyone have experience with the smaller Mead floats and getting them on any light airplane?

SPA MEMBER
    Interesting floats. It does not appear, on their web site, that the floats are approved on any airplane.

They sure look good, but I agree there is very little information and after looking farther, it would appear that they are being sued by more than a few people for lack of performance on sales contracts.

Mead composite 1430 straight floats

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    They sure look good, but I agree there is very little information and after looking farther, it would appear that they are being sued by more than a few people for lack of performance on sales contracts.
    The current Mead Floats website lists a John Moreland as the sales contact. He is the Florida sales rep for the Georgia Cubcrafters dealer, SWT Aviation. Might get additional info by contacting him.
    I do know that there was a Jabiru J-230 on Mead amphibs. There was a youtube video of it on the web a while back. One of the test pilots landed it gear up on pavement and the last time I talked to the gentleman who was doing the float approval program, he had decided not to continue the project.
    There was also supposed a set of Mead floats installed on a flight Design CTLS, but since then Clamar has gotten their 1400 floats approved on the CTLS, so the Flight design certification project may have been abandoned also.
    I had also talked to Mead Floats several times back along about their 1430 straight float for the 7CCM Champ. Originally they were not aware that you could not install an ATSM approved or non-TSO'ed float on a regular Certified airplane.
    John C

Hi John,
    I think I am just going to throw a set of 1320s on my 7CCM with Bruce Dunham's STC. - Bob

Gentlemen,
    I apologize for being a little late to this thread. I would have liked to have answered some of your questions about Mead Floats before this.

I represent SWT Floatplanes, LLC and our purpose to market floatplanes and floats to a small niche of LSA and expermental aircraft owners. That is how we got involved with Mead Floats. (We market the Mead composite float for Mead Floats, Inc.) The Mead Float System is a non-certified float for experimental aircraft or E-LSAs. According to the FAA, the Mead composite float could be installed on a certified airplane by using a one-time STC or a Form 337.

This thread has mentioned the Mead Floats is "being sued by more than a few people". That statement is not fair or accurate. This forum is not the place to discuss that subject at all. I would also like to point out that the gear up landing made by the Jabiru with the prototype 1430A floats had nothing to do with the floats.

It is important to note that Mead Floats is a new business whose goal it to build floats for a segment of the float market for which there has been few if any builders over that last few years. Mead has 3 sets of 1430A amphibs in service currently with a set of 1430 straight floats awaiting installation.

Mead Floats also builds a 2200 float design that will go on a large number of aircraft. A set of 2200As are scheduled to be built for a customer in the next month.

Mead is certainly not the biggest float builder out there. Quite the contrary, Mead is a small business that builds a really good float. I have a set of 1430As on my SportCub that are performing quite well. When you don't have a lot of horsepower, the floats you have really need to perform. The Mead 1430A float has performed will on both a SportCub and CarbonCub.

Thanks for your time. Let's go splash around.

John Moreland
    SWT Floatplanes

Hey John, What do you have and what would it take to put them on an Aeronca 7CCM? Can you supply the fuselage fittings for the installation and any information on an STC or to help with a 337 and Field Approval?

SPA MEMBER
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMore3 View Post
    .... The Mead Float System is a non-certified float for experimental aircraft or E-LSAs. According to the FAA, the Mead composite float could be installed on a certified airplane by using a one-time STC or a Form 337.
    Robert, Notice that he said that the floats are non-certified. The floats need to be certified and, separately, the installation on your airplane needs to be certified. Check with your local friendly FSDO inspector to find out what would be involved getting an approval on your 7CCM. My guess is that you will be discouraged with the amount of work and $$$ involved.

I did see that. Just wondered if they had any in Canada or on aeronca's operated as experiemental (rebuilds etc.) with the rigging dimension established etc. and if they are offering clamp on rear fuselage fittings? Kenmore are now wants $3,575.00 for a pair of bolt ons as they are making them One At A Time.

The Albany FSDO is pretty good if there is an existing 337 and field approval out there.