Thread: Lifting Bar ?

SPA MEMBER

Lifting Bar ?

Can anyone point me to a photo or send one to me of the "H" shaped lifting bar for change floats to wheels, etc?
    Thanks.

Brent

SPA MEMBER
    Brent,

Sorry, I don't have a photo of one, but they are easy to make. Find a piece of steel square tubing of adequate wall thickness. Measure the distance between your lifting rings on the airplane in question, and mark those on this piece of tubing. Now, attach lifting hooks at those points, these hooks can be on a short piece of cable to improve ease of connecting. That is the bottom of the lifting spreader bar.

Now, on the top, attach a couple of eyebolts toward the ends of the aforementioned piece of tubing, oriented the opposite direction of the hooks, ie: on the tops of the spreader bar. Attach a cable bridle to those two eyebolts, using conventional attach hardware, either permanent or quick change. Connect the bridle (with a ring at the very top of the bridle) to your winch.

Simple, easy to make and works fine. In fact, if you're dealing with more than one make and model of seaplane, it's easy to simply add a couple more hooks to the bottom of the thing, spread appropriately for the other airplane.

Instead of hooks, many folks use clevis so they're easy to attach/detach and very secure while connected.

Mike

SPA MEMBER
    Mike:Thanks much.Brent