Thread: Columbia SPA seeking your responses to Oregon Marine Board to reopen Waldo Lake

SPA MEMBER

Columbia SPA seeking your responses to Oregon Marine Board to reopen Waldo Lake

SPA Members and Friends of seaplanes

As many of you know, the Columbia Seaplane Pilots Association has been working to repeal the Oregon State Marine Board's 2010 rule that banned gas motors on Waldo Lake. CSPA, with support from the SPA, was successful in 2009 in overturning the U S Forest Services' attempt to close Waldo Lake, a 6000 acre lake in the heart of Oregon's Cascade Mountains, to seaplanes. At that point the past Oregon Governor took over and directed the Oregon State Marine Board to implement a rule to close the lake. (Click on blue links below)

The ban on internal combustion motors and floatplanes was enacted without due process and the Marine Board knows it. That's why they are conducting a new rule making process and Public Hearing. We have an opportunity to let them know that Waldo Lake should be accessible to all including seaplanes and that the ban should be repealed. Please go to our website for up to date information on how to comment and the history of the process.

Individual letters are important to let the members of the Marine Board know that we are out there and not a bunch of button pushers just sending in form letters. We have provided several talking points that will help you formulate a brief message to the Marine Board members. If you already know what you want to say just hit this button , but be sure to add some personal comment and your name at the end.

If you are a motorboat owner this issue is probably also near and dear to you. One of our allies, Waldo Lake for EVERYONE!, has launching a new website which I invite you to visit at: http://www.waldolakeforeveryone.com/ . Waldo Lake for EVERYONE!'s goal is to provide information about the Marine Board's upcoming April 10th public meeting on Waldo Lake and how we can help overturn the motor ban. Details on the meeting and where to send comments are also on the WLFE website.

No doubt most of the readers of this forum won't be able to join us at the public hearing on April 10th in Springfield, Oregon so please send the Marine Board your comments as to why the motor ban should be repealed. Please cc me on your emails, see below.

Thank you for your time and support.

Sincerely,

Bill Wainwright,
    CSPA Vice President,
    SPA Field Director for Oregon
    (503) 293-7627
    btwainwright@comcast.net

SPA MEMBER
    I might add.

In 2010 when we made our presentations to the Marine Board that there were over 100 responses advocating for continued use by seaplanes. This Forum was largely responsible for the majority of them. Unfortunately, as is explained on the CSPA Website information, the former Governor had the Board members tied up in knots over the issue. We are hoping that SPA members will come to the call again this time now that we hope for a fair hearing and reversal of the closure. Numbers count and we are up against a very active non-motorized lobby in the Sierra Club and a group called Oregon Wild.

Bill Wainwright
    Field Director for Oregon

SPA MEMBER
    here's a copy of one I just sent:

RE: Seaplanes (a minority user group) on Waldo Lake should be allowed

Pilots all over the USA need access to Waldo Lake and many other bodies of water for safety and instructional purposes as well as recreation and should not be discriminated against as a minority user group.

Please allow historical use of seaplanes on Waldo Lake to continue, as seaplanes are more environmentally friendly than power boats and are needed by many handicapped users of Waldo Lake to gain access.

Seaplane pilots have always been and continue to be very low impact users, generating less noise than power boats due to our small numbers.

Thank you,

David J Krall CFII SEL SES Seattle WA
    CFII Amphibion

SPA MEMBER
    Thanks David.

Bill W.

SPA MEMBER
    Quote Originally Posted by cwainwright View Post
    Thanks David.

Bill W.
    I always cc some friends that will write concerning these issues, so we will get a number of different letters off to promote our cause. We've seen some significant victories lately too with efforts by the RAF, EAA, AOPA and others, so it is definately worth a minute to write.
    CFII Amphibion

SPA MEMBER
    Bill, per your request on Seaplaneforum.com:

When some of us were trying to re-open the Idaho "Big Creek Four" over 10 years ago from their ongoing "EMERGENCY CLOSURE" by Big Bro.... I mean, our government, a flight student and I gave a CFI video presentation by MOUNTAINFLYINGVIDEOS.com, at a safety meeting at the regional FAA FSDO here.

When all were seated but, before our audience was allowed to see the cockpit videos of us flying into the most difficult backcountry strips in the world, I briefed them on the "EMERGENCY" situation the government had fabricated for closing OUR unique Airstrip Trailheads that were OUR well documented, historic, National Treasures. Then we gave them paper and pens and asked them each write a letter before I'd run film!

We then collected them for mailing and got 30 letters in 5 minutes by making them pay-to-play.

All the Airstrip Trailheads comprising the "Big Creek Four" were shortly thereafter re-opened and remain so to this day.

I'm thinking if somebody at the big aviation draws like Sun & Fun and OSH could get a captive audience like I had, or very informally but strongly encourage a desired letter as an addmission to a seminar tent or something like that....

If you give pilots and their friends a 30 second blurb-hype and, tell them what to write and, hand them the paper and envelope, they WILL do it right there and be done in 2 minutes. We took all the letters and WE PUT THEM IN THE MAILBOX, after they were sealed, in case anybody got cold feet after the event.
    CFII Amphibion

SPA MEMBER
    David, Thanks for posting your successful advocacy plan on this Forum. If any one is out there who will be going to Sun n Fun later this month would be interested in a little advocacy job I will ask SPA to allow them to give a short briefing some time during an SPA event to tell the participants about the issue. No doubt you have all seen the posts and hopefully gone to the CSPA website and viewed what we offer to help people write a short letter to the Oregon State Marine Board. I'm thinking that just reading from our talking points and doing what Dave suggests could really help our cause. It turns out that the Sierra Club and Oregon Wild have already rallied their members and the Marine Board has already received over 2000 responses asking for the closure to continue. Numbers do count so I implore seaplane pilots and non pilots, who believe that Oregon's lakes should be open to all the public when no safety or environmental reason to close them exists, to join us in this campaign. If we loose this one what is next?

CSPA will furnish materials for any one who would help us in this effort. Please reply on this forum or to btwainwright@comcast.net

Bill Wainwright
    SPA field Director for Oregon

SPA MEMBER
    SPA members, The Oregon State Marine Board has received over 3000 letters and emails from supporters of keeping the lake closed to seaplanes. There have only been less than a dozen supporting overturning or modifying the ban specifically on seaplanes. We really need your support whether you live in Portland Maine or Portland Oregon. We have made it easier for you to count by just going to this address http://c-spa.org/v2/access/comment-to-osmb.html you will find the "Easy Button". We hope that this will inspire you to take a second and post a message to the Marine Board. This is a serious Advocacy issue that affects the rights of all seaplane owners and pilots.

Thanks for your help,
    Bill Wainwright
    SPA Field Director for Oregon