Thread: Didymo & ban on felt soles

SPA MEMBER

Cool Didymo & ban on felt soles

Didymo is an invasive algae. The algae eats and is destructive to native food sources in streams, ponds and lakes.

Maryland is banning (sales and Use of) all felt soled fishing boots and shoes as the felt transports the algae if not cleaned properly.

The ban also goes into effect in Vermont and next year in Alaska. Montana and Oregon are also considering this ban.

Let's be proactive.
    1. If going fishing let's not use felt soled boots anywhere;
    2. AND make sure we have NO felt attached to our keels (sic).

SPA MEMBER
    The Flyfishing community is going to hard sole boots. I have got reports that spraying your boots with a 50/50 mixture of salt water and clorox will kill any didymo. Aslo Zebra mussells. We are seeing theses in Lake Texoma last year, in North Texas.. The claim from TP&W,is someone from Wisconson brought them.

Statewide ban on felt-soled waders

Felt-soled waders, long a mainstay piece of gear for fishing in rushing rivers and streams, are facing statewide bans because of the environmental problems they can cause. See the attached link found in USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ader-ban_n.htm

SPA MEMBER
    Good articule. Evry time I am done flyfishing. The best place to see what was in the water, is look at your wading boots. Leeches, Mayflys and maybe caddis larvae . I clean my boots in the same place at home for years. last year for the fiest time Blue Wing Olives were flying around. It is so easy to transfer,bugs insects,lizards ,at least here in Texas.