Thread: Chuck Kimes, Tyler Orsow Goose Accident in UAE

SPA MEMBER

Chuck Kimes, Tyler Orsow Goose Accident in UAE

It is with GREAT sadness that I share the report of an aircraft accident resulting in the death of all 4 people on board the aircraft. The Grumman G21T went down on takeoff from Al Ain International Airport in the UAE. On board were Chuck Kimes, Chairman of the Clear Lake Fly-in for the past several years and Tyler Orsow, a well known young man and only child of Terry Campbell, who owned Norcal Aviation for many years and managed the Clear Lake Fly-in before Chuck. Two other crew members from the western U.S. were also on board and did not survive the accident.

The account of the accident to date is located here.

http://www.flyafrica.info/forums/showthread.php?36059-Goose-down-in-OMAL-(Al-Ain)

As more information becomes available it will be shared on this site.

Walter
    Last edited by Laura; 02-28-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Sounded like quite an adventure. Very sad news!

Our condolences to their families and friends!

Laura

SPA MEMBER
    Another story on the accident.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...at-al-ain.html

Walter

SPA MEMBER
    Here is a newspaper article from the local area. There are two articles.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...in-plane-crash

Walter

SPA MEMBER
    This sounds and appears to be a left engine failure immediately after lift off. The McKinnon G-21G Turbine Goose with Pratt Whitney PT6A's rated at 650 HP each has a SE minimum control speed that is at the normal stall speed unlike many twins (but like centerline thrust twins, I.e. Cessna 337's). This is because the engine mounting is very close to centerline of the aircraft.

However this aircraft was a G-21F with Garret turbines rated at 750 HP. I have not flown and have no knowledge of the air speeds in this varient but suppose the extra 100 HP per side may have been enough to induce unrecoverable yaw with critical engine failure (Left) at full throttle and at low altitude.

I also noted in the picture of this aircraft that it had some McKinnon mods such as the retractable wing floats but not others; such as the McKinnon windshield.

It is a terrible tragedy to loose these 4 aviation & seaplane enthusiests and this irreplacale seaplane. My condolances to the families.
    Last edited by DJWorm; 03-02-2011 at 03:40 PM.

SPA MEMBER
    Here is the most recent article on the accident.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...ation-thwarted

Walter

I certainly regret not having had the chance to meet any of these fine individuals. My condolences to their friends and family. I spoke with Chuck over the phone once about getting an SIC type rating in the Albatross. I certainly hope that someone will carry on that task. I could tell it was something he loved organizing.
    Randy

SPA MEMBER
    This Goose was built by the US Fish & Wildlife Service in Alaska, for long range over water survey flights, and was then registered as N780. It was built in house at the Fish & Wildlife Service maintenance facility in Anchorage. While I never flew the airplane, I have spent many hours in it as an aerial observer on marine mammal surveys over the Bering Sea. The airplane had a significantly extended fuselage, forward of the wing center section, providing additional seats for observers, just behind the pilots. It also had HUGE range capability. I was told by one of the fellows who built it that the windshield was from a French bus. The airplane was also de-iced, at least the wings were, though that left many places to accrete ice, so it really wasn't designed to fly in icing conditions.

The airplane was sold by the Office of Aircraft Services, which took over the aircraft operation in the mid 70s. The airplane bounced around several owners over the years since.

A tragic loss of these pilots and aviation enthusiasts, as well as the loss of a great one of a kind airplane.

Mike Vivion

SPA MEMBER
    Here is the latest update on this accident.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...-crash-answers

They are still waiting for results from component testing in the USA before issuing the final report.

Walter