Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cessna 172 Floats

SPA MEMBER
    Have had my 172 flying for a few months now. Sure is alot of fun. Thanks for everyone advice.
    Bob100MEDIA$IMAG0048.jpg

Congratulations, keep us advised.... and continue to enjoy her.

SPA MEMBER
    Hello again, My 145hp O-300D is approaching TBO and I was looking for advise on upgrades. Obviously 180hp would be great but cant get an answer on if edo 2000s and a 180 hp STC is a leagal combination. Granted it still will not be a 4 place seaplane but should be a great performer to say the least. Called Air Plains and they are not sure of the STC combatability. Besides the 45k price tag with a brand new O-360 puts that one well out of reach. Perhaps the STC for the fire wall forward swap from a newer cessna would be a better cheaper route. Any ideas? Run mine out, sell it and buy one already converted perhaps? Whats it worth? Its alot of fun the way it is but a little doggy on a calm hot day with two people. (Including the driver). A little head wind helps alot though. Any advice would once again be appreciated.
    Thanks again,
    Bob

SPA MEMBER
    Bob,

The answer to your question on overhaul or upgrade to 180 Lyc or sell and buy a later model already converted depends on how much time and research (and money) you want to trade for the higher performance.

The first question you need to consider deals with the 180 Lyc engine; do you want a fixed pitch prop or a constant speed prop? Avcon has the STC for a constant speed 180 Lyc for the pre-1967 Cessna 172, and I believe it is approved for the EDO 2000 floats. Check with Avcon or the FAA records to confirm. If you want the fixed pitch prop (cheaper and lighter weight on the nose resulting in better balance) you can check with Penn Yan to see if they have an STC for pre-1967 Cessna 172, or you will need to find another C-172 of your model year with the conversion already completed and record the aircraft "N" number, and send a request to the FAA for a CD of that aircraft's records. You then can use these records as documentation for your own conversion. You will need the help of an interested aircraft mechanic with an Inspection Authorization rating (the same type of person who does and signs your annual inspection). You would need to buy the parts and pieces to do the conversion (engine, prop, engine mounts, and other parts and cables and instruments, etc.), which is no small task, since the documentation you purchased from the FAA most likely is not complete. You will also need to purchase the various STCs associated with the conversion. It would be a fun project if you have the time and patience but it takes a lot of careful research and planning. It will not be cheap! Paying an aircraft mechanic to do the research and installation will also add to the cost of the conversion.

If you are not an aircraft mechanic or VERY mechanically inclined, the simpler approach is to sell your aircraft and purchase one that already has the conversion or most of it already installed. This is probably cheaper in the long run as well.

Walter Windus, A&P

SPA MEMBER
    I have a 1977N 180hp, Pen Yann with long range tanks for sale with or without 2000 edo's, It will arrive here in Florida tomorrow on wheels.

SPA MEMBER
    FWIW, don't expect much cooperation out of Avcon. I have an Avcon converted P172D on wheels (great little airplane), and my IA who has a very pleasant way with just about every vendor has had a heckuva hard time getting info from them. I've heard that from others, as well. It's too bad, because it's a really excellent conversion.

Cary

SPA MEMBER
    Has anyone ever purchased or installed an Airplains Lycoming upgrade kit? Replacing a cyl on my o-300 and found that a piece of the cam flaked out. Now its time to overhaul current engine or upgrade and hold on to the old girl for a while. I might be in the market for a mid time O-300 if anyone knows of one. I know i will never get my money back if I go the 180 lycoming route but from what i read it makes a pretty good seaplane out of the 172. Will 180hp get four people off the water? (not on edo 2000 but for future float upgrades) How about with amphibs?

SPA MEMBER
    Robert,

The 172 on floats is best as a two person and some gear seaplane. Granted, with some fuel, you can probably legally fly three pretty slender, light weight individuals, but they're going to have to be thin.

Legally, I doubt you'll find any 172 that could carry four "regular" sized adults and enough fuel to go around the block a time or two.

Start looking at Cessna 180s if four people is your mission.

Mike Vivion

SPA MEMBER
    Thanks Mike I have decided to overhaul my current engine and enjoy it for what it is. A 172 ON FLOATS.

SPA MEMBER
    Well its been a long summer without a plane let alone without a float plane. The annual inspection turned into a cyl change which lead to an overhaul. Part of owning a plane I guess. Should have it flying in the next couple of weeks but missed the water season for this year. Wanted to upgrade to a 180 but couldn't even come close to affording it. Will be fun even with the 0-300. The Edo 2000 that I have uses 1/4 inch tie wires. Would like to get the new 5/16 inch due to the extra strength. Parts book shows different p/n for forward fuselage fitting which I don't want to change. Any difference that anyone knows of? Any stories out there about breaking wires on the 2000s or any floats for that matter? Always trying to learn more. Thanks,
    Bob