Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cessna 172 Floats

SPA MEMBER

Cessna 172 Floats

In the process of buying a 64' 172 with a factory float kit although it has never been on floats. I would like to use edo 2000 to keep the cost down. I understand that edo 2000 are approved under the type certificate but can not find it anywhere in writing. Does anyone have any advice on the subject. Thanks, Bob

172 floats

I have a 67 on a set of special edo 2000 floats that are 1 1/2" deeper than the standard float . The actual floatation is about 2300. This and the Borer Prop on the 160 LYC make
    for an awsome combo. I can actually take 4 persons with ease, this is truely a remarkable performer. This cannot be done on your certified 172 unfortunately. My ship is in the owner maintainance category, not available in the US .

2 Days Ago 01:10 PM
    Robertschallip
    Cessna 172 Floats
    In the process of buying a 64' 172 with a factory float kit although it has never been on floats. I would like to use edo 2000 to keep the cost down. I understand that edo 2000 are approved under the type certificate but can not find it anywhere in writing. Does anyone have any advice on the subject. Thanks, Bob

SPA MEMBER
    Robert, go to the FAA website and look up the Type Certificate data sheet for your make and model aircraft. You will find the EDO 89-2000 floats listed there, probably under landing gear.

Walter

SPA MEMBER
    Thanks for the help. I have located rigging and a v-brace and am still in search of the front bolt on mounts, a McCauley 80 inch seaplane prop and a set of 2000s. Any one with any ideas let me know. Thanks Bob

SPA MEMBER
    I think CAP 2000's are certified on your 172 as well. They are a copy of EDO 2000's and are the same. I have seen sets of CAP 2000's around for reasonable prices. Some Cessna 175's were put on CAP 2000's (same gear as 172). A lot of guys with 175's are removing the 2000's because the 175 is heavier than your 172, and putting on larger floats. I have a 175 on CAP 2000's and I am just waiting for the piggy bank to get fat enough to get bigger floats. Not this year. Before you buy CAP's, check with FAA to make sure that they are certified on your 172. ... John Dingman

SPA MEMBER
    For parts, talk to Doug Ronan or Ed Peck. They are both in Canada, but both of them have the biggest supplies of used parts around. EDO (dba Kenmore Air) can provide new parts as well.

Poke around on Barnstormers.com. Lots of 2000's out there. I've seen sets recently for sale for around $10 K, which seems to be about the "current price".

Mike

SPA MEMBER
    Found some bolt on front mounts. Rigging deal I thought I had fell through so I am looking for flat gear "pork chops" and rigging. Still thinking Edo 2000 are the best deal for me at this time but I am looking for some other input.I know its underpowered but does anyone have any experience with a 145hp cessna on edo 2000s or Baumann 2550s. Baumanns are ALOT more expensive but I hear they perform better even with low horspower. Havn't seen a used set for sale so they must be worth it. Thanks again, Bob

SPA MEMBER
    I have flown most all the floats on a 172 and the BF2550's are the best in my opinion.

SPA MEMBER

C-172 on EDO 2000 or EDO 2130

I have had two C-172’s on floats, a Cessna 1967 and a 1974, the 1967 model was on EDO 2000, 1974 model was new right from the factory on wheels. When I installed the floats, this time I went to EDO 2130. (Both planes had IO-320 engine) There was a big difference when getting up on the step, the EDO 2000 had a “Double hump” before it went on the step, the EDO 2130 went right to the step without the “Double hump” and the back of the float, when at rest, sat higher in the water. I believe they “Stretched” the middle section by 18 inches, which made the 2000 a 2130. Dave

SPA MEMBER
    Thanks for the help guys. I have purchased a set of Edo 2000s for the 172 and am slowly putting all of the puzzle pieces together. Still need rigging with pork chops and a prop. All are available NEW but they are quite pricy. I guess its the cost of owning a seaplane..